SlTl, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer

I am looking for an architect or someone to take a sample

Customer Question

I am looking for an architect or someone to take a sample home floor plan I have and make a couple changes and turn it into a usable plan to build from. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am obviously willing to pay more than $30 for this service. Thanks.
Expert:  SlTl replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer. Welcome to Just Answer, I will be assisting you with your question.

Expert:  SlTl replied 1 month ago.

It's possible that I can help get you started in accomplishing this goal, I've designed many homes and spaces within homes for the last 20 years, and I've designed my own homes. Although I don't deal with the footings and roof line aspects, I deal mainly with the interior spaces. A good builder can build from just about anything as long as it is dimensioned and drawn to scale, which is what I do. With extensive training and experience, and certifications in kitchen and bath design (which requires more knowledge than to obtain a contractor's license, and I have both), my fees would be $100/hr which includes both drawing and consultation time.

We start with personal consultation over the phone once I have your simple floor plan in hand, then I may send you a preliminary drawing or two for your approval before the concept is finalized, and then I'll send you the final drawing when completed. My guess is that it will take about a month to complete depending on our schedules, etc.

Is this something that interests you?

Susan Latta, CKD, CBD, CGP

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you show me a sample of what the finished product would look like? And how quickly could I get back the first draft of the floor plan layout? I'm kind of in a time crunch. Thanks.
Expert:  SlTl replied 1 month ago.

I included drawings of a kitchen with layout and elevations. All the drawings have been dimensioned. They were drawn on large 11" x 17" paper to 1/2-inch scale but have been reduced down to fit on 11" x 8" paper. The layout of a home is just like laying out a kitchen, so it will look similar but may not include elevations unless you want me to design your kitchen and baths also. I also design closets, pantries, book cases, fireplace mantles, offices, sewing rooms, etc, etc., anything that needs space planning or has a cabinet in it. I included 3 additional photos of bookshelf and mantle designs.

Why are you in a hurry to build one of the biggest investments you'll own? Being rushed isn't a good idea when building a home and I hate to see you get started off on the wrong foot. There's just too many unknowns that can happen that will slow the building process, AND it will happen on your project, especially with fall setting in, and winter on it's way. I've not seen the plans you have and I don't know how many sq. ft. we are talking about here, so I will guess and say 2 weeks to get the 1st preliminary to you. I could finish it earlier than that, but I'm making room in my schedule to accommodate this request, and am very happy to do so, but I just don't know how simple the home is we're talking about, the overall size of the home, and your expectations of revising the plan you have. Will your spouse also be involved in the decision making process? These are the things I don't know, so I'm guessing 2 weeks or less, but if I had your plans in hand and knew your expectations, I could be more realistic. A word from the wise who has seen many, many custom homes built: the moment you get in a hurry and become impatient is the day you shoot yourself in the foot, because from then on, there is only tension, heated words, your blood pressure goes up, and everyone becomes tense. Believe me when I say, You cannot rush the subcontractors or they will retaliate or not show up at all; and you can't rush the builder because he is at the mercy of the subs, the weather, and all the other unknowns. I'm about the only one you can try to rush along, but if a relative dies or other circumstance like that, those things will have to be accommodated first. But I'm not expecting anyone in my family to die anytime soon....knock on wood. I will certainly do my best to accommodate your requests.

Expert:  SlTl replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, did you have a chance to look at my work, the drawings I sent? Do you think my services are something that could benefit your project?

If you have additional questions regarding this subject, please feel free to ask. Thank you for using Just Answer as your handy, go-to information resource!

Susan Latta CKD, CBD, CGP

If you feel I have addressed your concerns, please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; this is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating, will not end our conversation, should you have additional questions surrounding this topic. Simply click on “Reply” to write back and I am happy to continue with no additional charges.

Expert:  SlTl replied 30 days ago.

Did you have a chance to look at the drawings? Is drawing a simple floor plan something you think I can help you with?

Please be so kind to rate my answer so I receive credit for our conversation.

Thank you,