Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have Chamberlin garage door opener. It opens fine when I

Customer Question

I have Chamberlin garage door opener. It opens fine when I press the button on the wall. But when I try to close it from that button, it will only go down partial until I hold the button until all the way down. Is it locked?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: It just says Chamberlin LiftMaster Professional 1/2 HP
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That is mostly it I can't get my remote in my vehicle to work until the "lock" is fixed
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model LIFTMASTER PRO and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The sensors are fine. I think the problem came when the remote on outside of garage door was used and instead of entering the code and enter, just the enter button was pressed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The door goes partial and then reverses only when I try to close it. It opens just fine
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

well we could try a hard re set and re program and see if that fixes it ...........if not it is going to be the sensors

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds….If you have a MY-Q device …immediately press and hold the LEARN button again until the learn LED goes out. All codes are now erased.

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know how it goes

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, construction.......decorating....... any kind of repairs, etc I will be here for you

thank you

eddie