Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I live in IL, Winnebago Co & have been taunted by City of

Customer Question

I live in IL, Winnebago Co & have been taunted by City of Rockford inspectors that I need to change my dryer venting to a 4" metal venting system but I need a permit & IL licensed mechanical contractor. Also to put a 2" cap on a sewer line, I need a permit & IL licensed plumbing contractor. It took 30 seconds to put this cap on & I bought the metal ducts & elbows to install to window in basement with the aluminum tape. Took no time to install. Are they BSing me on such a simple DIY project
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I'm sorry 3" cap.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes already did it but I have court/inspection by City on Wednesday.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: City has been bothering only me for last 3 years. I just bought this house & it was inspected but the City finds violations with me but not previous owners. Cap did fit 2" pipe. Sorry so screwed up by their harassment because I don't live like everyone else. I have worked Long hours & everything I have is paid for. I have a large family, we are clean, stay to ourselves & have everything that one might have in a really good neighborhood (scooters, boats, 8 cars/trucks, toys) but jealousy rings high here in the ghetto.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yes, a licensed person is technically required to install the dyer vent and pull the permit. Same for capping the pipe. In most cases you wouldn't get called on this but it is within their discretion to require what they asked for.