Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Liftmaster 1/3 HP Diagnostic So .. power surge killed my

Customer Question

Liftmaster 1/3 HP DiagnosticSo .. power surge killed my control board on my gargage door opener.
I pull out the board - replace it and without the switch or electric eye wires connected .. i get the door to open. It wont go down - i assume because there are no electric eyes. So i know atleast at this point - the motor worksSo ... i connect up the switch and eyes and hit the button to try to close it and it makes some sound like it is engaging but the the motor does not turn on. It sounds like it is ready to turn on but never gets to the point it says to the motor .. go!I check the eyes and they both are powered on and green. I put my hand in front of one and the green light turns out.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

you might want to check the gear next it might be worn.......let me know

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i replaced the gears a few years ago and it was working fine. It would not go from working fine to no movement unless the gears were shredded - which i experienced when i replaced them. It worked fine opening the door vs closing.here is a video of what is happening:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noSxpJT2bFM
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what i mean is that it worked fine opening the door .... so i know the motor works .. i think it safety or limit switch or something. i am looking to know how to diagnose.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

you tried setting the open and close limits?........what type of drive do you have?.......chain?.....belt?.......screw?...........how old is the unit?........and do you have a model number?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i screwed around with the limit switches a bit but nothing scientific. thats on the side right? they were set with the old board so i assume they they wouldn't change much?? no?I also tweaking the force ones a little bit - those are on the replacement board.Remember - just plugging the board in - opened the door without doing anything or connecting the switches or eyes.Its a lift master 1/3 hp 41a5021-1bits about 15 years old chain drive (i have two others that work fine still).
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
did you watch the video?
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

the video didn't initialize..............whenever you change the logic board or drive you have to reset the close force and limit controls........you have the manul to go through that right?...........and forget about how it was working 5 minutes ago or 10 days ago or 1o years ago...........the power surge changed all of that and it is a different dynamic now

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the video works for me- I just randomly turned the increase travel buttons and not change. Please try to watch it
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

okay got the video to work...........we have to go step by step here ............did you replace the capacitor ....you look for swelling or an oily residue

after that we have to reset the limit and force like I stated........not with just the arrows but a drive disconnect........the adjustments on the motor unit are only going to increase in small intervals

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did not replace the cap - it's not bulging or leaking best I can tell.What is the procedure for adjusting the limits and force? The manual is pretty vague.What do you mean by a drive disconnect.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

there is too much instruction and variables ........it would be easier to do this by phone .....Just Answer requires an additional charge .......would you be okay with that?

and can you locate the stop bolt or stop tab on the drive bar

Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very proud of the work I do here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I need details of what to do?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I googled stop nut - and found the procedure to loosen the chain to get the trolley off the nut. So loosen nut and when I hit the switch the trolley runs. When it comes back it slams into the nut and gets stuck again.Repeat - loosen runs stuck.I try to just spin the travel up ccw to try to reduce travel back toward nut - same results no difference.