Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have an Overhead Door screw drive opener whose drive shaft

Customer Question

I have an Overhead Door screw drive opener whose drive shaft has some front-to-back play in it, such that when attempting to close the door, the drive shaft is pushed back far enough such that the opto-wheel no longer sits in the sensor. Everything spins fine, but the front-to-back play has been steadily growing over time. What could cause the front-to-back play?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: It's an Overhead Door Signature screw drive opener.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope. That's it.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

Can you tell me what is going wrong with it ................did you say the safety sensor coems out of line?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
62; Can you tell me what is going wrong with it ................did you say the safety sensor coems out of line?
The shaft on the end of which is the opto wheel moves straight back, such that the opto wheel no longer trips opto sensor that tells the opener that the door is moving downward, so it stops driving the motor.