Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

I have a 25yr old 1/2hp chamberlain garage door opened.

Customer Question

I have a 25yr old 1/2hp chamberlain garage door opened. Works well but when u push button to open or c.ose ,it will start and then randomly stop and we have to keep pushing button several times to complete
Cycle, whether opening or closing, is this a wired remote problem or signal problem?
Thanks KS Mal
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be 25 YEARS OLD and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener (ceiling unit) and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance