Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Got a contractor coming over tonight to talk about a

Customer Question

got a contractor coming over tonight to talk about a bathroom remodel. What questions should I ask to make sure he's legit? I checked his references/Yelp reviews, but any specific questions related to bathroom remodels would be appreciated. Also, is there a rule of thumb for how much I should spend for a master bath remodel? powder room? flat fee or price/sq ft?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: why minimize you?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: not dealing with anything. just want questions to ask
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that's it. just questions to ask and any recommendations for what I should expect to pay
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Since you've already checked him out the main thing you want from this meeting is to get a feel for how comfortable you are with this guy. Are his answers direct or evasive? Do you feel comfortable or do you have a niggling feeling that something is off. Trust your gut.
Some questions to ask (even if you know the answers)
How long have you been remodeling bathrooms?
How many of the trades (carpentry, plumbing, tiling, electrical, painting) are direct employees and how many are sub-contractors? The more that are employees generally is better. Ask how long he's had a relationship with his subs.
Ask how long the job will take. 1 to 2 weeks for an average remodel is typical, up to a month plus for major fancy remodels is not uncommon.
Cost can vary widely from as little as $5k to well over $50k depending on the scope of the work and how fancy the bathroom. Fancy bathroom should Have a designer. Are the design costs separate or included in the price.

Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Not interview related but also critical. Get a written contract with a firm price. EVERYTHING should be clearly spelled out. What specific materials & fixtures will be used, a clear payment schedule and an expected start & finish date

Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?