Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Garage door stuck fully open. motor runs and chain

Customer Question

garage door stuck fully open. motor runs and chain circulates, but door does not lift up
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is a Liftmaster
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the chain is traveling it's full distance then the release catch probably isn't engaging. Try pulling on the release rope a few times then try the door again. The catch may be stuck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Tried that already. But, no improvement when I pull the rope straight down. The arm is not connected to the chain that is circulating completely when I press the button to close.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Try lubricating the catch with WD40. While you're up on the ladder try pulling on the rope after you spray it. If it doesn't close and nothing else works tap it with a hammer to try to get it to spring back. It's also possible the spring is latch spring is broken and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did not work. It appears it is not going back into the housing completely…not lining up fully, so latch will not connect
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Sounds like you may need a new latch.