Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

When I purchased my home there was a door communicating from

Customer Question

When I purchased my home there was a door communicating from the inside to the garage. The house has a 'raised' basement, which means that the main floor's surface is above the garage/basement floor by only 4'.
There was a 2' landing into a small 5' x 8' area, and from there, a 2' set of stairs to reach the garage floor. The floor of this area was raised by 2' to allow more space in the basement and the door was removed and its opening was covered by drywall.
Now I would like, if possible, to enable this door. The problem is, when they finished the garage walls they used two layers of 5/8" drywall, and it's next to impossible to find the studs. I've filled a wall with many holes trying to find them, and have used magnets to locate the screws, to no avail.
How can I go about it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your best bet is probably to get a stud finder. They are pretty good at finding concealed studs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was the first thing I tried, obviously, and failing that, I tried what I described.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

You mentioned magnets. This type of stud finder doesn't use magnets. I'm not clear on why you're looking for studs when it sounds like you want to open up a wall and install a door.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to 'open' a door. I want to find the existing (if any) opening, which I assume may still have the 30"-33" spacing in between the studs. So, I need to find the studs.
I thought that would be the easiest way, instead of trying blindly to build the door frame from scratch. Isn't that what a pro would do?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Well, if you can't find the studs with a stud finder then you'll have to remove a section of sheet rock where you suspect the old door opening was. Worst case you'll have a bit more drywall to patch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I always knew that to be the last resort option, but wanted to avoid the trouble of tearing down a large area of two layers of 5/8" sheetrock. I may have to do that, adding extra work and $$$. Even then, it would help to know where the studs are, to remove complete sheets rather than pieces. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

I never said to remove complete sheets only to cut a hole in the wall where you think the opening was and work out from there.