Thomas
Thomas, General Contractor
Experience:  Owner/ Vice President
95840562

Was there a type VI construction? If so what was it and what

Customer Question

Was there a type VI construction? If so what was it and what were the height and area limitations for business use?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using our service at JA! My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you find the information you are looking for. As you may know, there were a number of Building Standards that were published and this took place up until 1997. In the '97 version (attached) of the Standard Building Code (SBC), which was used up until 2000, you will find a Type VI construction referenced. In 2000, the International Building Code (IBC) became a unified document and superseded all previous documents. In any case, on page 14 of the attached, you will find the limitations you are requesting depending on the fire rating of the structure. For your particular use, again depending on the rating, you will find a maximum height of either 40' or 50' and an area limitation for business use of 9000 SF to 40500 SF per floor, again depending upon the number of stories (1 or 2) and the current rating of the structure. Please refer to page 14 for the specifics to your particular building. I hope you find this reference material helpful! Thanks again for using JA!