Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

My Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door is malfunctioning. The

Customer Question

My Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door is malfunctioning. The following information is from the unit's label: Part No.: 41A5483-3B; IC2666A:(###) ###-####; Date: 01/04
The opener begins to open the garage door and when the door is about 12" off the floor, it reverses and closes the door and the unit's lights begin to flash. I disconnected the door from the mechanism to determine if the door was sticking or something like that and retried the opener. Again, same result. The chain drive operated for about a foot or so and then retracted with the unit's lights flashing again. I did notice that one of the obstruction signal units (mounted on the garage door rail near the bottom) shows a green light but the other shows an orange light. I also pressed the orange "lean button" on the back of the unit and then held the open door switch until the unit's lights stopped flashing as the label indicated, but that didn't help either. PLEASE ADVISE. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make CRAFTSMAN and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be 12 YEARS and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do both have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many working remotes

5-) any flashing LED lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button is ORANGE

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non-working ?

8-) are you using only the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain....CHAIN..belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance