Nathan, General Contractor
Experience:  Experienced contractor, new builds, renovations.

Misplaced factory code on sentry safe OS0500 safe. i have

Customer Question

Misplaced factory code on sentry safe OS0500 safe. i have owners manual but I tore off factory code only -- can't find it . Now son getting into safe - must know my code - therefore I need it changed but don't have factory code in order to do so
JA: Just to clarify, have you double-checked the code? And what is the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: I have model #OS0500 model
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Well I was told I need factory Code that came with this sentry safe in order to reset passcode.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately this is not something you can simply get a code for online, for obvious security reasons, otherwise anyone could break into your home or steal your safe and then just retrieve the code to open it, rendering the safe useless.

What you'll need to do is fill out a form, have it notarized (to prove ownership) then send it in (along with a check) to Sentry. They'll mail you back the original keys if applicable and/or the override code.

You can get the form here:

There are instructions on it for sending the info in by mail, or you can pay the fee online and fax/email the form after it is notarized.

I'm sorry there is not a quicker resolution possible, this process is in place to ensure security, so that not just anyone could get a code or key to your safe.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already knew this, but this site stated "able to change code without factory code necessary. This info I already had and not paying $24 bucks for this answer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not satisfied at all.... Not paying ... I'll dispute the charge to my card.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I'm not sure where you saw that, and I apologize if that was communicated incorrectly. That is simply not possible, the only way to get the code is to follow the steps above.

If you saw something about being able to change without it, that was perhaps an incorrect google search result or something similar.

You may cancel from the help page.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I can opt out of the question and send it to customer service for you as well.

Do not respond further and do not rate, that will cause you to be charged the full amount.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can copy and paste it if needed..Otherwise I would have called sentry myself.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

We're all independent techs here on our own personal time, I'm simply trying to help and provide an answer to the question posted.