Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a 9 valve timer. zone 5 will not shut off. replace

Customer Question

I have a 9 valve timer. zone 5 will not shut off. replace solnoid and diaghram still did the same, replaced valve same, replaced controler 5 goes on as soon as water turned on
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: since monday found leak in back yard turned off water and has been zone 5 ever since when I turned water back on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was trying to do thhat
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not sure
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Hi.............you replaced it with a new, same make valve (Toro? Rainbird?)?...........does the manual control on the valve work?..........last this is what we could try remove the wires from zone 5 on the controller and move wires over from another zone ........there could be a short in the zone five keeping it open so we will test it with a working valve control ...........you can move the zone 5 wires to the vacated one and see what happen there too

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Different valve orbit . New controller orbit. Valve will not shut off manually completely just cut in half
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

do you mean different valves from 5 ?..........none of the others are are the same ?.......and what cut in half?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure what you are asking
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

we're in the same boat I am not sure what you are telling me............and what cut in half?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
replaced zone 5 with new valve. New controller. Nothing has changed. This has all occurred since I turned off water on Sunday night because of a leak. Could it be wire problem but other stations come on but 5 is still on. 5 comes on as soon as water is turned on even though controller off.
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

That's why I was thinking there was a short keeping that valve open.....if you can manage to swap it out with another that would be a good way to test it if you can since other things were replaced with new ............we can't rule out that you got a defective valve again

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Water at sprinkler head goes down but not off when you turn solenoid on valve
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
different valve for 5 then other valves
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

was the leak Sunday night in zone 5 too ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure have not found leak yet. This all happened since I turned off water
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

what we should do next is open up the valve again and look to see below the diaphragm if there is dirt or sand built up there and give it another clean out........maybe flush a little water through by turning on the valve for a couple of seconds.............because that would also keep the valve from shutting.............and if there is still a leak that sand will keep coming through and muffing up the works

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

I have to go offline now but I will check back asap ........let me know how things are progressing

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

I have to go offline now but I will check back asap

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie