canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

I'm looking to hang some theatrical lighting and will be

Customer Question

I'm looking to hang some theatrical lighting and will be using a 2 inch diameter pipe. The clamps I will be using to connect the lights to the beam are 2 inch. We have alot of beams supporting the roof. I would like to have a few choices on how to hang a 2 inch pipe. I have drop ceilings. What would be the weight capacity of the different solutions?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Would the pipe be horizontal or vertical? If horizontal, how far would it span? Is the 2 inch pipe you are planning to use pvc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It would be horizontal and probably span about 20 feet. I plan on using a metal probably steel pipe

I would suggest using galvanized pipe. No matter the pipe you use, it would have to be supported and I imagine some 1" galvanized pipe would be sufficient for what you are doing. The supports would be done with flanges click here Then you would support from the ceiling (you would cut a hole in a ceiling panel and then you can get a plumbing escutcheon to make the hole look nice click here and tee fitting at the points where you need support with a pipe going up to the ceiling with another flange to screw into some wood.

Lowes will cut and thread any pieces you need too. I will be back, the dog has just informed me it is time for my walk.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It needs to be a 2 inch metal pipe since the brackets are 2 inch. The flanges you recommended would require me to make holes in the steel beam support which I would rather not do. What kind of beam clamp or hooks support are available? I have seen places use beam clamps and that is connected to a .5 rod coming down to a clamp and connects the 2 inch beam support. I will probably need about 1000lbs weight capacity across 20 feet.

You would use a clevis clamp click here and use threaded rod click here to hang it from a flange click here Nothing is going to span the 20' without some support along the way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I plan on having about 6-8 hang points across the 20 feet. So I have the 2 inch pipe which I will mount the lights on is connected to the clevis clamp and the clevis clamp is connected to a threaded rod going up into the ceiling. The flange link is the same as the clevis clamp. Also, how strong is the clevis clamp?

730 lbs

The weight will be distributed across the pipe so you will be no where near the limit.

Next time you are in a big box store, look up at the A/C units. They are hung by the same materials.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK but what do I use to mount to the support beam? Remember I don't want to drill holes in them.

What type of beam is it? This is above the drop ceiling? What is the drop ceiling hanging from?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
about the drop ceiling. These are the support beams for the roof so I would think clamps would be best

What type of beam is it? 2x10 joist? Wood truss?

The roof system is all steel beams?

If it is all metal beams then use beam clamps. click here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its all steel beams

So the beam clamps will get that part then. Did you see the link?

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 month ago.

I see you still have not positively rated my service. Although the only way that I get paid is when my service is positively rated, it also tells me that you have not received the information that you were seeking to find a solution to your issue. Will you let me know what affect the information I provided had on the issue at hand and how else I may be able to help?