Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I was working on my hardwood floor. I sanded it to bare wood

Customer Question

Hi, I was working on my hardwood floor. I sanded it to bare wood and then applied stain(color) to the floor. its been more than 4 days and it still not dry. it feel tacky to the touch. please help me, I need to fix this issue before tuesday because I have the C of O inspector coming to inspect the house.
Thank you
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Water or oil based stain?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
oil based stain
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Ok, what you describe usually happens when the stain is put on too heavily. Stain should be applied then the excess wiped off once it's had a chance to soak in a while. If you're trying to get a darker look by applying multiple coats of stain this can also happen. It still may not be too late. Try wetting a rag with mineral spirits (turpentine or paint thinner) then wipe down the tacky surface with the rag. This will usually remove the tack but it may lighten the color a bit. Try it in an inconspicuous spot first before doing the entire floor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try that
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome. Let me know how it goes.