canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.

I am renovating a house and am not at the house for 3-4 days

Customer Question

I am renovating a house and am not at the house for 3-4 days at a time. I turn the water off in the interim just in case there are any plumbing leaks. When I went to my house yesterday, I noticed a distinct musty/mildew smell. I did not notice any leaks anywhere and don't think that there could be a plumbing leak as the water to the house is turned off. We have had torrential rain for a few days, so I am wondering if it is a roof leak. How can I determine the source of the smell and/or leak? Thanks-Mary
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

Hi Mary.......finding a leak can be a daunting is usually a process of elimination.........lots of times the weather conditions.......and careful examination of a roof and drainage areas......if you are only there a limited time of the week it will be a that much more if I can suggest call in a roofer and a plumber for a free estimate and they will be more than able to locate the source of the problem........ and from there you can make a discernable decision for a fix from what they come up with

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and repair field for 20 years. Although Eddie may be correct in assuming it is in fact a roof leak I believe it to be something you could easily solve on your own without having to call a plumber or roofer. It would be a much easier troubleshooting process to discuss over the phone though. I will send the offer. If you would like to continue with the chat I will opt out and I am sure that Eddie could work it out.