Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

I'm in Santa, CA and I wish to change out the windows in my

Customer Question

I'm in Santa Barbara, CA and I wish to change out the windows in my lower story to double glazed plastic framed windows instead of the old single glazed aluminum sliders. I have heard stories that some building departments make you teat out the interior walls and install heavy duty insulation and fill out volumes of paperwork regarding the thermal characteristics of the entire house. Is there a way that I can simply upgrade the existing windows without all that bother. Perhaps a simplified form to improve only the window thermal characteristics without having to deal with all the rest at this time.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.
I never heard of anything (in the real world) like the rumors you've mention. Installing replacement windows is a common upgrade that does not trigger anything so draconian. You will probably need a building permit and possibly a lead paint assessment if your house is more than 30 years old but that's about the extent of it.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

And if you're not doing this yourself pulling the required permit is up to the window contractor not you.