Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Have sears garage door opener, when hit button to open,

Customer Question

Hi, have sears garage door opener, when hit button to open, nothing happens, but the light starts to blink fast, problem?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

Hi Gary...........my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

~~PLEASE CUT AND PASTE THE NUMBERED QUESTIONS AND PUT YOUR ANSWERS NEXT TO THEM~~

1-) The make CRAFTSMAN and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) what happened that made it go from working to non working ?

8-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

9-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

10-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

11-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have model #, but it was purchased about 10 yrs ago & is 1/2 HP unit, this is one of two put in at same time, due to an electyrical short at that time. Question is this an additional charge of 24 dollars above the first charge of 18 dollars?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Al remote & hard wired buttons are working, all are lit light on unit comes on but starts blinking immed, when you cover one of the safety lights, light stays on continuously.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to get back tomorrow, I don't have some of the answers you are looking, okay
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

yes there is a full additional charge for phone service so lets hold off on it .......I will await your response tomorrow

Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

yes an additional premium charge ........so lets hold off on it until I hear from you again

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The model is 139.53914. its a belt drive,it continue to blink & the color of learn button is lavender, all remotes work & it has a base unit that works, when you press base unit the light on opener begins to blink fast but nothing to indicate that the motor is kicking in, all gears are in good shape, the sensors are green on door. No kids tampered in anyway, it just quit working a few days ago. He purchasd a new laptop computer about a week or so before, it is located 20ft away??
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

manual for it?

how old it might be

green light that is on steady and not flickering?

any flashing LED light on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The unit was manuf. in 12 or 2004 & I didn't see any light on the opener, except for the regular 120 garage light.& he doesn't have the manual.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One additional piece f info, whenyou place an obstruction between the safety lights, the garage door light stops blinking off & on...
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

green light that is on steady and not flickering? on the sensor

did you mean a 120 watt light bulb? there should only be a 60 or 70 watt incandescent in there............this may have caused a short in the logic board

these are probably the last two areas we can concern ourselves with

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The unit was manuf. in Dec or 04, & the light is about a 60wt bulb, but its the curly type. The green lights on sensor stay on all the time. I was referring to a 120vt system, the bulb wattage. ok, whatever you can advise. I have a friend I want to talk to tomorrow, who works with electronics, befire I spend any more money.
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

yeah they say the fluorescent type isn't good for it either .........they always recommend a 60 watt tuff work bulb.........anyway it is pointing toward the circuit board .......it may have gotten fried by a surge overload

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I didn't get any suggestions as to what the problem might be????
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

if your gears are okay like you said ..........I said it is most likely the circuit board