Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

Recently I installed Roxul brand, safe and sound fiberglass

Customer Question

Recently I installed Roxul brand, safe and sound fiberglass insulation in the ceiling between the first floor and second floor of my house. Then sealed the open celling with sound board and on top that with sheetrock, plaster and paint. Ever since then there is a very bad odor (like vomit) in the rooms (even after few weeks). I am not sure if the bad odor is from bad paint, rotten compound or soundproof material. I am trying to avoid reaping apart the entire job which cost me more than two thousand dollar.
Is there anyway to find out exactly where the odor is coming from or if we believe it is the paint or rotten compound, what can be done to eliminate that.
Thank you
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

Hi Dan

Hi my name is eddie. I can help you with your difficulties and I might need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

As I see it now ........that soundboard might have been made of all recycled materials..........I would call where you purchased it from to find out it is a little hard to pin it on that because everything should be encapsulated with the rock and it just might leave the paint .............I am sure you have some left over so compound and paint a piece of drywall using the same conditions and then see if indeed it is emitting an odor ...............if you have to do a rip out use steel Resilent Track for'll be better off

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Eddie
Thanks for your reply. This is a good idea to try out leftover paint and compound. Is there any type of sealer or paint that I can apply to eliminate/decrease the odor? Do think whatever was bad, might need more time to air out or since it has been few weeks, time is not a factor anymore? Appreciate your help.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

the paint you would use is a low or Zero VOC.......sometimes paint can take up to 4 months to cure fully ........I hope this all works out for you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To make sure I understand clearly:
1- any type of paint with Zero VOC, would conceal/decrease the any bad odor OR you mean "paint with zero VOC naturally has less chemical odor" ? Where or which manufacturer carries these type of paint? 2- Sometimes it might take 3 month for some type of paints to be odor free?
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

yes what you want to try and do is encapsulate what is on there now but I am not so sure that putting another coat over will solve the problem if the first is not cured is a catch 22 .............and that it is in fact the paint until proven with running that test .......

I have always used ***** ***** but Behr has an eco friendly line fact just about anyone would these days .............when you talk to them they could provide more data for you ..........I don't want for you to proceed on speculation about the coat and cure

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great, I will try to sample out existing paint and will be in touch with you.
I would like to give five stars.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

that would be nice of you

Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

Hi if you considered that you would have to check the 5 star box .........thank you