Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

I'm converting an attic into conditioned living space. My

Customer Question

I'm converting an attic into conditioned living space. My biggest challenge is proper ventilation to prevent excessive heat and moisture. My project is similar to the attached picture except I do not have the triangular attic vent shown at the top of the first pic or a ridge vent in the second pic. The attic comes to a peak and the contractor has recommended insulation and drywall right on the other side of the shingles.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question is, how can the project be successful without the triangular area at the top, and would a ridge vent even help, since there is no triangular area to vent.The ceiling is already low and taking a foot out for ventilation is not an option.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please describe your experience with attic conversions in your response. Thank you
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The triangular area you describe is not required. You have 2 options; you can ventilate the rafter space above the insulation by using a ridge and soffit vents or you fill the rafter space with insulation and seal it tight so no moisture from the living space can penetrate into the space. The best method to achieve the later is to us spray foam insulation filling the space. Even if you use the former you still need a tight vapor barrier to keep conditioned air from penetrating the rafter space.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you recommend?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Ventilating the rafter space above the insulation (at the roof sheathing) using ridge and soffit vents with a good vapor barrier towards the conditioned space. If that's not an option then filling the rafter space with spray foam insulation. The first option is less expensive if you have ridge and soffit vents in place. If you don't the I'd go with the second option.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried to rate you 5 stars but I am getting a system error from Just Answer
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** if/when it's convenient but if it still doesn't work then your last comment will suffice

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried again. No luck.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

That's OK. Thanks for using Just Answer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i received an email asking me to rate your service. I tried again to give you 5 stars, this time on a laptop instead of an iPhone, and again received an error.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

The emails are automatic. I don't know why you can't rate. Don't be concerned about this one. I'll get credit since you've stated your intention here. I'll bring it up with tech support so they can look into this and see to it that it doesn't happen again. Thanks again.