Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

I am in the jungles of Nicaragua with a Christian ministry

Customer Question

I am in the jungles of Nicaragua with a Christian ministry with this project:
I need to connect a solar panel to the grid:
The ministry has pieces of equipment donated...What items do I need and how do I configure them?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is not an answer, just a comment, you may respond in return if you wish. I will be opted out in the meantime so that others here can see your question.

Unless you have huge array of solar panels, say several hundred square feet of solar panels it is not viable or useful to connect the solar panels to the local utility company power grid if that is what you are talking about.

If you mean by 'grid' the buildings wiring, that is easily done, you will need a voltage regulator, some deep cycle lead acid storage batteries, the more the better, golf card batteries are best.

And if you intend to run 120 volt computers or very very light appliances off of the house wiring you will need an inverter.

Here are a bunch of primer video's for you to look over.

Click here

These will have links to the components you need, it is smart to over size each component by 50% or more, they run cooler and last longer that way.

Good luck with it.

Expert:  Martin replied 2 months ago.

I agree with phil, please detail as much what you want to do and the needed end spec. Also the list of the equipment you have may be helpfull.