Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

I observed the lighted doorbell button on the wall

Customer Question

I observed the lighted doorbell button on the wall flickering. I disconnected it and now when I plug in the opener the light bulb on it flickers and the unit makes a clicking noise.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

Hi there seems to be a short might need a small 6 inch piece of wire so we can test it later ......if you could help me out with these in the meantime

If I may ask:

1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model LIFT MASTER PRO and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

9-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

10-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. No manual.
2. 10yrs. I'm the original owner.
3. Amber and green. No flickering.
4. There's what I'd call a doorbell button on the wall. And 3 remotes.
5. No flashing lights on the motor just a constant, rapid clicking. Learn button purple.
6. There was a storm early in the week. I don't recall using this opener since then. I have a second identical unit in this garage that is working fine.
7. Yes. Only original installed unit.
8. Chain drive.
9. Nothing happens when pushing the button or remote.
10. I'm capable of working on the unit with your guidance.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

Okay Tracy what I would like to do first is bypass the wall remote up the ladder and remove the wires that come directly from there ...........then take that piece of wire I asked if you could get and plug it in to one side and touch the other side of the plug in connection.......... the door should move........let me know what happens

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing happens.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm still curious as to why, when connected, the lighted doorbell button flickers.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At this point there is a constant clicking and flickering of the light on the motor.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

flickering isn't good in electric.......... it means a loose connection and arcing

sorry to say but you might have had a lightning surge and it fried the logic board on this opener...........if you can get to it and see if there are any char marks along the circuitry it will verify .........the other may work fine because this opener bore the brunt of the should invest in a surge protector for last thing to try is a hard re set

ERASE THE TRANSMITTERS: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including the key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

do you know how to re program the transmitters? Hold them with-in 16 inches of the opener when you do

Please let me know the answers to the questions and how it goes

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll give that a try.
I suspected it might be dead. Just wanted a confirmation.
Thanks Eddie.
Expert:  Eddie replied 2 months ago.

no problem.........let me know