Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

I have a Chamberlain Liftmaster Professional 1/3 H.P. garage

Customer Question

I have a Chamberlain Liftmaster Professional 1/3 H.P. garage door opener.
I had to do a physical repair on the garage door, and so to get it to stay half way open I unplugged the garage door opener. Now the car remotes will open the door, but they will not close it. I have to hold down the switch on the wall until the garage door fully closes.
How can I reset the door opener so that it operates normally?
Thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 39 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model LIFT MASTER PROFESSIONAL and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

9-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses? ..........when you said physical repair what did you mean ?

10-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was charged the $5.00 on my credit card, but you have not sent me the answer. You say that there is a problem with my credit card information. But I have already been charged $5.00
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Hi I have nothing to do with any kind of billing .......I believe the 5.00 was for a subscription...........but that too is would just contact customer service

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

if you requested a phone service that is an additional charge as a premium service

Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

we can try and do it here if it works better for you