Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

What is the roof snow load located at******** Tahoe Vista Ca

Customer Question

What is the roof snow load for home located at******** Tahoe Vista Ca 96148?
single story with loft.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to replace my roof at ********* Tahoe Vista Ca 96148, and need to know what the roof snow load is.
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll see if I can find that info. are you still needing it?

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Try this site by clicking HERE

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need the roof snow load....for my property located at *************** Tahoe Vista Ca. 96148. Info need for the replacement of my roof.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

http://screencast.com/t/cqpvFsxdXMag

snow load is 215.65 pounds per square foot.

Please rate my answer, it is the only way the company pays me for my time, thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ground snow load is 215.65 pounds per square foot. Is that the same as roof snow load??? My builder thinks that is too high for a roof snow load. I spoke to someone and the buildi g department 3 yrs ago and he told me it was around 133 psf? I am confused.
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Yes, snow load is for roofs...that would be a flat roof, if you have a steeply pitched roof the snow will slide off before it reaches that level.... also let us say that the roof is pitched 45 degrees F, exactly half of the snow load would transmit to the bearing walls... leaving only ~157 psf on the roof itself,

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

The finer details will have to do with the shape of the roof as well as the pitch, this is what architects hire structural engineers to do.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the plan of my build.. Please tell me what the snowload needs to be for this 24x24 with loft garage. At m proprty in thoe Vista Ca 96148
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** an engineering service, that cannot be performed without California State Professional Engineer licensing. (they will charge you a few thousand dollars)... I suggest you discuss this with a local architect who might be able to find a way around that for you.

Here at Just Answer we just answer questions in this case, what is the published snow load in your area. You have that answer. If however you would like me to put my 55 years of experience to work for you, and assist you in various ways to legally avoid the structural engineering expense, the rate my snow load answer positively and I will see what I can do for you.

locate the 'Finish and rate your expert' link and click on it, in that case I will see what I can do in those regards.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Roof Pitch is 4/12
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** is a lot more engineering that goes into a roof structural load calculation.... its a specialist sort of issue with expensive and specific software required to input all of the various factors well beyond pitch and materials, there are all sorts of other issues such as the interplay of spans, and bearing walls unique to every situation. I do not have that software, nor the local licensing required to do such calculations even if I did have the software.

There is a way around it in some cases, for instance use of pre-engineered building structure... all that would be part of the design, and available through the person selling such a set of plans as for example anyone building tract homes... for a custom home, the local building department officials will want the calculations for every 2 x 4 in the house so to speak. all that work is light years beyond what Just Answer was set up to do, we just answer questions here but are not a substitute for extensive professional services requiring local presence and local licensing.

You had asked about snow load... fortunately however I was able to answer that question. Good luck with your project.