Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

The exterior walls of my older house are currently osb

Customer Question

the exterior walls of my older house are currently osb boards. I cannot afford to replace them at this time. however, I needed to re- do part of my interior walls as I am having the windows replaced this fall. I need to therefore put in new drywall. when i took out the north interior wall, i found that there was no insulation between the exterior wall which again is osb and the interior wall. so my question is 2 fold --- what kind of wall board should i put up, and two can i insulate or not?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

There's nothing wrong with OSB sheathing. In fact it's been used more often than plywood in new construction over the last decade. You can use fiberglass batts with a vapor barrier towards the living space. You can use regular sheetrock unless you want to skim plaster the walls in which case you'd use plaster baord.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The interior walls are going to be plaster, so wall board should be? And what is the best insulation cos i do know that the osb walls do get moist and my dad thought that it was left uninsulated so that they could dry in the summer months but i would love to insulate just worried about moisture
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

If you plan on skim plastering you need to use plaster (blue) board. The only reason the OSB would get damp is if you don't have a vapor barrier behind the wallboard. Like I said before, fiberglass batt insulation is fine and used all the time in this application.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?