Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Trying to wire a nutone exhaust fan with light. wire from

Customer Question

Trying to wire a nutone exhaust fan with light. White wire from switch with both white wires in fan/light housing? Red wire from switch to what color wire in housing? Black wire from switch to what color wire in housing? Help!!! I'm stuck. Thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What is the model number of your fan? what switch are you referring to? the one on the fan? do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nutone 769RFT fan with light to separate switches. Had an old fan there that wasn't working well, was really noisy.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm referring to the switch in the wall to turn light and fan on (separate switches). I do not have a volt meter. I have been turning off power at breaker box.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

It sounds like you had it wired correctly, neutrals/white together and a switch leg (I'm assuming red & black) to either hot lead in the fan (blue & black). This is usually done with 2 switches so your red and black leads make me wonder what you're using for a switch and what's feeding the switch. You need line voltage into the switch as well.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

If you can't identify the switch so I know what you have maybe a picture of the switch and the wiring at the switch box in the wall might help/ You can post a pic here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess I don't fully understand what you're saying... The previous fan/light were turning on. I guess they are standard switches. There are three on that switch plate, one for separate light in bathroom (not an issue), one for light in nutone fixture, one for fan in nutone fixture.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have a smart phone to take and post pics, sorry.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Ok, do you have a copy of the install instructions? Let me know if you don't and I'll post a link here. There's a picture of how to wires this in the instructions. We can discuss that pic if it's not clear

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have them. I can't understand them and many others online have complained about the poor quality of the diagrams. My husband and I have have read and reread this for 2 days and can't get anywhere.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

The diagram is actually pretty clear to anyone with a basic understanding of wiring. I can try to explain the wiring picture if you like.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay. I'm not getting anywhere. Thanks for your time. Bye.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for trying Just Answer