Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

The previous owners of my home glued the carpeting down in

Customer Question

The previous owners of my home glued the carpeting down in the basement; not just at the edges, all over. I've scraped and scraped. I saw an article about using boiling water and I thought I'd get a steamer, the kind used to clean surfaces with hot steam and hopefully get the glue up. Renting a sander has proven to be not possible. Assuming I get the glue off, I then want to use a self-leveling compound as there are several dips, noted after the sump failed a few times. I had used a deep penetrating cement sealer on the walls and thought maybe I could use it on the floor after the self leveler dried. Then I am going to paint the floor and then put clear coat. My question is about the self leveler. Since there are large dips, there will be large patches of the compound. Will my idea work out well? Also, I've replaced the sump 3 times in 3 yrs. I think the perimeter of my house is graded toward, instead of away from the house. Could that be the problem and why the sump only lasts a year, tops??
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can't paint leveling compound it's not made for that purpose. It's made to be used under a layer of finished flooring (tile, wood, laminate, vinyl). If the area immediately around the house isn't graded away from the house then all the water from the roof in a rain storm will wind up against the foundation and probably under the slab so you pump would work much harder than it should.

Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there something, different compound, that I can use to level the floor or is there a primer of sorts? Would concrete stain work? Can't afford stone or wood/laminate so that's why I want to paint it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's frustrating if I'm going to be asked for money each step. I paid the initial amount, would expect suggestions instead of just, can't paint leveling compound. So I would like your best answer please. I want the floor to look finished.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

There is nothing you can use to level the floor that is made as a wear/fininished surface. You could just paint the existing floor without leveling it. The only other option is to use a product like Sakrete's TopNBond but it's not made for floor leveling and has to be troweled on. It's not going to give you a nice finished surfaced.
I have no control over solicitations the site may make. I don't work for Just Answer. I use the interface they provide just like you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But I've watched videos about staining the concrete floor or epoxy, (way too expensive), and they had patched areas. Seems like there has to be something other than epoxy, that is relatively inexpensive. You don't have any suggestions other than leave the floor unlevelled ? Really don't want to leave it like that, it's pretty pitchy.
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Patching areas and leveling the floor are 2 different things. You'd use the TopNbond to patch not level the floor. The only other option would be to pour another layer of concrete on top of what you have and that's more expensive than covering it with new flooring. I'm sorry but those are the only options.