Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My remote control is no longer working on my 1/2 HP

Customer Question

My remote control is no longer working on my 1/2 HP craftsman garage door opener- I changed the battery, changed the inside panel- still cannot get the remotes to connect (outside keypad, Homelink in car, nor handheld remote). What is next?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

hi ..............we want to erase all transmitters re set and then reprogram

ERASE: hold down the learn button for 6 or 7 seconds

HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good minute......in the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including key less.....and if you have a battery back-up.....plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh

Do you have a manual? and do you know how to program the transmitters?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hard reset didn't work- it's a 1995 Craftsman garage door opener- I don't have the manual- would it have a battery backup? I'd have to remove the housing to get to it if it has one. Part #41A4315-6C
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

Hi Patrick that is just my standard questionnaire I doubt it has a battery back-up.............anyhoo we can try and reprogram a remote transmitter if this doesn't work it probably means that you need a new logic board which are about 80.00 or a new opener which start at 150.00

To program...........

Press the “Learn” button that is on the opener............. The LED by the button will light up for about 30 seconds. Wait until the light goes off.

Press and hold down the button on the garage door remote. If it has three buttons, you can choose any one of the three

Release the button when the motor unit lights blink. It has learned the code. If light bulbs are not installed, two clicks will be heard.........when it does programming is completed

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No blinking lights- are we to the logic board being damaged? I tried both the car and keypad and they blink, but the opener doesn't. I'll go back through the earlier steps in the morning just to make certain I didn't forget anything.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

sounds good .................keep me posted

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've tried all the steps three more times and nothing works- I see I was already charged the entire amount for this consult, but my problem wasn't solved- why was that?
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

Hi Patrick ...........you don't get charged until you are satisfied with my answer and give me a star rating..........I don't know how or why that happened but you can contact customer service ..................... cut and paste this ticket address to it so they know

all indications are now pointing to the logic board.......if you can get to it and see if there are any char marks anywhere on it that would be a telltale sign.........the unit is 21 years old now so it wasn't going to last indefinitely ..........you'll find a new opener is much more user friendly, quieter, smoother and much easier to diagnose if something goes awry with it

Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie