Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

We have a 1/2 H.P. modelGX49550CL garage door opener and I

Customer Question

We have a 1/2 H.P. modelGX49550CL garage door opener and I can not get remotes to work. Have the one that came with it GT 90-3 and a new model remote GM 3T. have the 12 pins set on remote to match the ones on opener. The lights flash on both remotes as per instructions but door does not open or close with remotes. is there an eye or something on the opener motor that may not be working or what
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will I get answer tonight
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the door open, or closed? given that it is immobile.

Are you sure the remotes aren't working, but are triggering a locked-up, immobilized, or defective opener motor/drive/door? Test by using the non-remote hand controls or wall button, to make sure the door isn't inhibited somehow, I suggest.

Have you got the proper pairing procedure to configure the remotes to the opener?

Has the opener ever worked properly with the original remote, the GT 90-3 ? and did it recently cease to work in response to it?

Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 10 months ago.

Yes there is a beam that must be working and the sensors must be aligned to see each other.

if the beam is blocked the door will attempt to move but will not , it will shake or shutter a moment and then appear to have gone dead. you will get a blinking lights on the motor housing to alert you something is wrong

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the door works fine with main switch. it will go up and down and the lights are lined up the door will stop if anything is blocking beams. the remote that came with it use to work till the beams got broke and were replaced.

Thank you for the response.

What got replaced, when 'the beams got broke' ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The two beams lights at the floor level on each side of the door

They have nothing to do with recognition of the remotes. Are you sure the serviceman did not press a Reset button on the opener? (though it sounds as if this is the type of older opener that does not have a button on the opener... if it does, what is the color of the button?)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No reset button. It has 12 Pin and remotes are set the same

You might have a coincidentally defective 'receiver', the part of the opener that the remotes communicate with.

If so, this is quite rare!

But something changed, quite obviously, when the sensor lights/beams were replaced.

Another Expert wants to offer his help, and so I am Opting Out of this case; I will still be able to see and respond to any further posting by you, though.

Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

Long Term Tech is correct in his assessment it has something to do with the safety sensors..........what I think happened is when the wires were re-connected to the opener they were crossed up some............depending if you have 3 or 4 connection slots...........if it is 3 ......both white or white tracer wires go in the middle connection .....if it is 4 then then one each in the two middle ones..............then the other wires (maybe red and a gray) go on the ends...........and you might have to switch them because one sensor is the sender and one is the receiver...........they will still have a solid light but this adjustment should make a difference

Thanks

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there is two wires that plug into each light
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

I am talking about on the opener ........that side of the connection for the safety sensors