Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

When closing About mid way door starts hesitating and

Customer Question

When closing About mid way door starts hesitating and sometimes opens back up a few times before finally closing.Opens fine but mid way does seem to be rough or possibly out of line someway.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 39 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) do you have a chain......belt......or screw drive?

9-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor? goes partial way?........reverses?

10-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Eddie,
1. Its a LiftMaster 2280, I have the manual
2.Aproximatly 12 yrs old, Original owner
3.Lights are steady on
4. wall control works and 4 remotes
5.I see a yellow light by the learn button, I only see it blink when door reverses on way down, blinked 4 times
6. Only disruption was when I had a guy change out the spring and belt.about a two months ago.Unfortunately haven't had any success getting him back to fix the problem and it seems to be getting worse.
7.I bought a wall mount opener for out side which we rarely use and my truck has a door control button that I use.
8. belt
9.Door starts closing then about mid way starts kinda jerking almost like its out of line or something, it always opens but sometimes when closing it will take several tries to close it.It goes about half way then opens back up.
10. Yes, I intend on fixing myself if possible
Expert:  Eddie replied 3 months ago.

Hi Greg.......I am glad you mentioned about the service call .........usually when the door reverses itself it is the safety sensors............I know you said they had steady solid lights on but it could be that when it was hooked back up on the opener it may have been crossed up..........I don't know if you have 3 or 4 connection slots .......but the white tracer wires go in the middle and then the other two from each sensor go on the ends.............we can start there and see if this resolves the problem............please let me know