Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I'm trying to fix a loose chain on my Stanley Garage door

Customer Question

Hi. I'm trying to fix a loose chain on my Stanley Garage door opener. It is old and does not have a screw to tighten were the chain is attached.
JA: The Contractor can help you fix and improve your home.
Customer: ok
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Contractor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 39 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) do you have a chain CHAIN......belt......or screw drive?

9-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

10-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stanley ST502.F07 do not have manual
i think it is from 98. I am not original owner.
yes
yes. 2 remotes
no
no
yes
chain
it moves, but the chain is sagging so much it hits the door as it is coming up then it stops opening
YesThis model does not have a tension screw adjuster where the chain meets the part the door attaches to. I think I'm going to have to take some links out of the chain to tighten it or replace the cable that attaches to each side of the chain.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.

I think this might help you .......it a chain assembly Part # ***** 24851..but I don't know if it has a tensioner or if you have a round tube......and below that is a contact page

http://stanley.garage-door-opener-parts.com/repair_parts.asp

49563/24851

$42.50

Garage Door Opener Chain Drive Carriage Assembly Kit
• Compatible with Stanley chain drive garage door openers from 1982 to current
• Includes carriage assembly, inner slide, and master link assembly
• Compatible with Round Tube Style Rail ONLY

http://stanley.garage-door-opener-parts.com/contact_us.asp

I guess make contact and then if you could then me know........if not maybe we could adapt something

Thanks

eddie