Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.

I'm getting ready to wire my basement from a subpanel that I

Customer Question

I'm getting ready to wire my basement from a subpanel that I have installed this is going to require to be inspected so I need to make sure is right this is going to be about 20 outlets and 3 sections of lights about six lights per section I pretty got all connection and wiring figured out my question is when running the wires on the ceiling for the lights how far apart do I need to clamp the wire or how far separate between clamp to secure wire and how long each pigtails for each light to hang
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

The requirement is 12" from each box that has a clamp, 8" from each box that doesn't have a clamp and then every 4 1/2 feet.

For pigtails, I usually use the width of my hand from thumb to pinky. Approx 8"-9". Code is 6"

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok thank you for your reply, I'm also using metal framing what kind of electrical boxes should I use in outlet and switches with romex NM cable

Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Well, you should always check with your local inspector (you can normally catch them between 7AM and 8AM before they head out for the day) but there is no code requirement for metal over non-metallic boxes in a home renovation. With Romex, I would use plastic.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Alright, should the metal be grounded at one point if using plastic boxes to keep it from energizing in the future is that a requirement?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Did you received my last question? About the metal framing and using plastic boxes does metal should be grounded somewhere just for safety or I'm not making sense lol just checking thanks