Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

Is it possible that a Rodgers valve stops closing the limit

Customer Question

Is it possible that a White Rodgers valve stops closing the limit contacts when it gets too hot?
I'm troubleshooting an indirect water heater problem where the Tekmar doesn't initiate a call for heat. It's very strange: when I go and see what's happening, everything works and I can't find a problem. A few hours after I leave and the hot water is spent the Tekmar doesn't call for more heat to make DHW.
I noticed that the valve that opens to let hot water from the boiler to the hot water tank is on the supply side so the pipes are hot. Could it be that the electrical contacts inside the valve are getting affected by the heat and only work intermittently?What about the thermostat on the DHW heater? Is it possible for it to be working intermittently?I don't know what else to check. Please help.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

It's possible the thermostat on the tank is working intermittently. Zone valve are "never" affected by heat. The next time it doesn't respond check to see if you have power to the zone valve. If not check for continuity across the tank thermostat terminals.