WCohn, Construction Worker
Experience:  Been in contruction 18+years

Dryer won't shut off unless door is open. Then if I begin to

Customer Question

Dryer won't shut off unless door is open. Then if I begin to close the door, it will start again when the door is 5" from being closed
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you resolve your issue. Is this a problem when running it in all cycles?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not sure. Will check but at this point that will take a week. But why would the machine start when the door is 5" from being closed (as well as not stop in a cycle?
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Your door switch is probably located on the hinge side so it is engaged when only 5" open. The reason its still running could be because the timer switch is bad unless it only happens in an automatic cycle then it could be cycling thermostat.

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

The best thing I can do for you from here is give you a website that walks you through it all. Click HERE for that site.

Please leave me a positive rating if I have satisfied your original question

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know a little more now after speaking with my wife. She says the timer was at 1 min and she opened the door and powered the unit off. No lights on the control panel were on but when she closed the door the machine started with no lights on the panel, she then opened the door all the way, it stopped, then started when she pushed the door to within 5".
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

is the unit new enough to be under warranty?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, it is not
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4 yrs old
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

You might be needing a computer board. I would call a local guy and have it tested. The thing item I stated earlier could still be the issue, but I wouldn't just throw parts at it hoping for the best. I'm concerned about the lights not coming on the control board. Not a good sign.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is the computer board you are referring to called a dryer display control board? ...or is it something different?
Expert:  WCohn replied 3 months ago.

There is probably a pcb behind the display