WCohn, Construction Worker
Experience:  Been in contruction 18+years

I have a Liftmaster Professional 1/2 Hp garage door opener.

Customer Question

I have a Liftmaster Professional 1/2 Hp garage door opener. when I hit the button, it hums like something may be jammed but there is no movement of the chain. The door is in the up position
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Can you pull down on the door while someone pushes the button? Is there anything in the way jamming it up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found the manual for the opener. The LED flashes 5 times, pauses and then repeats. each time I hit the button for the opener, the motor hums for a second or two and then stops. The door does not move at all.
According to the manual, that can mean a couple things. I noticed that the traveler on the chain is jammed up against a bolt in the track. The door was up higher than normal. So I uncoupled the door from the opener so I could operate it manually and close it.
so the question now is how do I get the traveler/chain unjammed so It will move freely again.
Whin Melville
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

So it was Jammed!!! I knew it.. Can you upload a picture of the chain and its jam?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
attached is a picture. some over exposure but you can see the traveler is jammed up against the bolt through the track..
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.
It is hard to tell because of the exposure. But it does look like you could use a pry bar and free it up pretty easily