Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

I am helping a friend renovate s house that was probably

Customer Question

I am helping a friend renovate his house that was probably built around 1988. There is a closet at the end of a long hallway that i need to identify. The current owner doesnt know what it is and he has never used it. It looks like a shoe closet but the shelves are too shallow to hold a pair of shoes. Please let me know what this closet is called and what it was intended for. Also, would it be possible to modify it to use it as a shoe closet or something functional? Thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It's a bit difficult to make out from your picture but it looks like a linen closet to me, made for towels, sheets, etc .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It cannot be a linen closet. As i mentioned, the shelves are not deep enough to hold a pair of shoes. I would estimate the the shelves are 6 inches deep. Thank you.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Well, it could also be a pantry closet. Sounds like it could accommodate some grocery dry goods. Either way it's not a typical config. Maybe the previous owner used it to store their CD collection.

Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

As far as modifying it goes it depends on what's behind it. If there is a closet behind it then you could increase the depth buy removing the back wall and re-framing it further back into the closets behind. If there are no closets behind then there's not much you can do with it to make it more useful except perhaps to remove the shelves and install wall mounted wire shoe racks in place of the shelves.