Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Opener goes seconds and then reverses seconds and stops

Customer Question

Opener goes for 2 seconds and then reverses for 2 seconds and stops
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a broad spectrum of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. I will do my best to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) are you using ONLY the equipment that came with this opener?

8-) what exactly happens when you do click the transmitter?....... the door doesn't move but you hear the motor?......it goes partial way?........reverses?

9-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

Please always allow me time to prepare information for you. In case I have to go offline I am always checking back to keep things moving and expedited.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The chain is disconnected. The sensors are fine . It is 11 yrs old, new house, no modifications original owner no smart learn chain drive contact in opener is against power source, moves away a little and moves right back the light in rear of controller blinks and clicks 5 or 6 times.
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

if you know the gear was stripped for sure were you able to replace it yet?....................

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button 5 or 6 blinks?

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener...broken gear?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Lift aster 1/3 hp works as it does with remote or wall switch gear was stripped and entire drive replaced movable limit switch is pressed against center contact moves away a little and moves back without ever losing contact with center contact then unit clicks and lite at rear of unit blinks 5or 6 times
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

did you set the open and close limit before re-installing the chain ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The chain is not installed the limit switches are in the controller the limit switch is against the contact and can't be turned off it it starts to move off but stays n contact and then reverses to even tighter contact
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

it is real hard to understand what you are trying to say ..............is there anyway you can upload some pictures they would help considerably