HIC-Expert
HIC-Expert,
Experience:  dasdasd
93975677

I have a 2500sqft warehouse with concrete floors and am

Customer Question

I have a 2500sqft warehouse with concrete floors and am looking at painting the floor. What are my options? I will be doing this myself.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

hi welcome to just answer i am Duane i will be helping you today if after my answer you need more held then just respond and i will respond back ty

well few questions of mine do you want to paint it or do a new style of epoxy covering ?? that is a little big for epoxy ??

Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

lot of the paint or epoxy that is for cincrete floors is expensive 200 or mor per 5 gal buckets at that rate you are over 2000 for materials easy when most of them cover less 300 foot per 5 gal.. but it is durable i used on large shop floor and holding up great it was a bher product i forget the exact name let me see if can find it just a min

Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

i used a concrete cleaner to ahead to prep floor being a shop i cleand very well lots of old oil stains and after cleaning it let dry for few dys to insure all concrte pours were good dry then simply painted it on both products i used were bher brand at local home store ..and it has held up well i dont have forklift on it so that may make differnce ?? but highly satisfied 4 yrs now .. i was worried about sliping on it but has great grip ty

Thank you for using Just Answer any further help needed just respond and i will respond back
please leave a good rating .For that is only way that i can get compensated for my time. Thank You Duane

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just want to paint it a solid color. What company's offer this? Can you provide me with some links?

Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

yes i can bher also makes great quality paint give few minutes and will fix you up ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

BEHR

Model # *****

Internet ####-##-####/p>

Store SKU #(###) ###-####/p>

5 gal. #65505 Tan Granite Grip Interior/Exterior Concrete Paint

here is one from home depot that is one my favorite brands can be collored also thick enough to cover small cracks well but smooth enough to roll rite on .. there are many brands out on market but anyone of them that are compareble to this should work well for your job ty anything else just respond and thanks for using just answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any other brands? I'm looking for a few options

Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

well i know glidden makes a cocrete floor paint i am not sure on other brands i like to just reccomend products i have used or seen used to say they are good and feel good about refering you to use ??

i could try to shearch for you but i wont be able to say good or bad about them i like to know what i suggest to use is good for you as my cutomer so you come back and ask another question some day to thanks Duane

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks can you send the question back into the queue and maybe someone else can give it a try. thanks

Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

well i had taught that my response's were imforative for your job i just do not feel good about telling you to buy products that i have not used

Expert:  duane replied 1 year ago.

i will opt out thank you for time

Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Hi I am the HIC expert and I'll help you
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
There are a few options available at the home improvement stores.
1. For a paint application ,you must first make the cement bond able.
A cement floor smooth trowel finish is very hard and slick. It does not do well with adhesion of most water based products i.e. Latex paints, typical elastomeric or out of the pail products.
If you opt to paint you will want to use a 100% acrylic paint because acrylic is a cement, mortar, tile grout sealer and hardener. Before you apply paint you will need to etch the surface of the concrete by removing a small amount of the cement silt which floated to the surface during the original concrete finishing. By doing this pours and imperfections are created in the surface which enable the pip ain't to adhere and stay bonded to the floor. Etching the floor also removes any dirt ,grease , oils etc that mat have penetrated into the concrete.
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
A second choice is to stain the concrete .
There are usually a few different colors available at the home improvement stores.
There are single dye options and there a two dye color options
The single color is ok if your purpose is not fancy appearance however it produces a well blended uniform color to your cement floor. It is easy to apply with a pump sprayer the type you use to stay for insects and the I gal sprayer comes as part of the kit when you purchase a dual color system. Since dye is deep penetrating you will not need to etch the floor ipunless it is unable to absorb water . A good way to tell if your floor requires etching for stain is to wet the floor and watch the penetration by the change in color of the cement surface. If the surface become darker quickly you will not require etching. The dual colos systems offer possibilities in appearance by alternating color areas to similar experience flag stone etc but you require som practice using spray pattern on sprayer tip, pressure, and the look you desire. Dye can be applies in several to reach a solid appearance, and once toy have the look you want, you can apply a penetrating sealer to the floor to lock in the dye and protect it from dirt and water such as ribbing with a hose and rain. The sealer works well and is available in the same shine options as paint. Flat , semi, gloss, and wet look or high gloss which is my favorite.
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
To etch the floor you will need to purchase muriatuc acid from the paint department
Mix it at 10% acid to 90% water in plastic. NO METAL CONTAINERS AS MURIATIC ACID EATS METAL AND WILL EASILY DISCOLOR ANY METAL SURFACE LIKE A CHROME FAUCET AND MAKE IT LOOK LIKE YOU HEATED IT WITH A TORCH. FORVA VERY STONGBETCH THAT WILL BURN DEEP INTOMTHECSURFSCE YOU CAN GO 50 - 50 solution . You should not have to go this strong. Wear proper gloves and eye protection as well. MURIATIC acid will begin to d
Burn the skin immediately. You will feel a tingling sensation that will Quickly begin to sting and then burn, so if you feel your skin tingling stop and rince with water as water neutralizes it .its a good idea to work n areas about 10' x 10' working alone and pre wet the floor so it doesn't soak in to concentrated areas. You can plush a solution front a cup or pour from a bucket and spread immediately as evenly as possible. You will know the acid is working by the white smoke looking schemical cloud, when the cloud ceases the Scot has used its potency.i like to mix a 5 gal bucket using a smal miniature push broom dunking in the bucket and protect the solution onto the damp cement. Be sure to mix all the same .
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
The next choice is an appoxy paint. This will be solvent based and will require lacquer thinner or similar solvent to clean up. Clean brushes ok, but generally disposed of used roller covers. Some opportunities paints a two parts and some are one part. One part is much easier to work with than two part. The cement floor still needs to be clean and free of oils etc.
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
The appoxy paints are available in pre selected colors or you can have the paint rep color the paintBoth Preselected colors and tintable
The appoxy paint takes longer to dry but is much harder than acrylic . It also oes on thicker and you can put flakes into the paint like glitter etc for a variety of looks for her txt
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
I hope this has helped
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just want to paint it a solid color not epoxy maybe light blue or light gray. Its a warehouse concrete floor. What would you recommend?

Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am a building contractor I have several choices for you
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Here is an option with minimal maintenance , takes a terrazzo floor surfacer.
Certainly the surface to expose the cut rock in the concrete and apply deep penetrating concrete sealer with a flat, semi, or wet look finish. Won't scrape off from forklift or material sliding on floor etc. time consuming to surface but overall with application of sealer drying time so fast few hours foot traffic overall about the sAme as a 2 part epoxy
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Ok forgive me for not reDing your last message
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
You can apply a non epoxy acrylic paint that is basically the acrylic resin you have in 100% acrylic paint but you can purchase the resin without color and have it tinted to any color you prefer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where can I buy that

Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
This acrylic is much harder and will hold up many times better than purchasing acrylic paint from home improvement store, the resin is water soluble and cle- up with warm water. Acrylic is the product or solution you use to harden snd seal tile grout on your floors and bathroom shower tiles etc. takes 24 hours to copletelt be ready to 100% water proof
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
It can be purchSed from a company like "Pro Deck" I know a distributor in Brea that can sell you the Product directly
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
It and similar products can be purchased at roofing supply S it is bused in primarily wLking decks such as out side walkways at hotels
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Sorry primarily used on concrete around swimming pools and on outside walkways or hallways at hotels and motels it use for patios however when it's used in these applications it is used in conjunction with a fiberglass reinforcement that is placed on top of the first coat and then resurfaced with the second coat and then finally a third coat with the aggregate or the nonskid surface over-the-top. If you're planning just to coat your cement floor without a nonskid surface which is not necessary for inside of Acacian you want to make sure that you get what's called a topcoat and use that because if you do it in a three court system even though it is all the same resin the topcoat as properties I don't make it will you be protection what you won't need but makes it harder in the finished product
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
topcoat provides UV protection which you won't need for inside application you also won't need the fiberglass and you won't need to do it in three stages in fact you have the option of using just The topcoat-resin any color you want in one application. You can also put the aggregate in the topcoat and use that in a single application if you want to nonskid surface is very easy to maintain because all you do is your supply Nother coat wherever you need to
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Because it is acrylic resin naturally seals the surface of the concrete and also adds to it hardness we can also be hosed off or you can use a cleaning machine on top of it it won't hurt it when use anything with metallic brushes but you would need to be that aggressive you could just use some soap and water in a push broom i've use this application on outdoor patios for apartments and walkways going to the individual units they hold up very well normal usage sees nowhere after five years let's say on the front porch of a home five years in no detectable including regular pure Cold water cleaningor with soap
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
For your best and most productive time in a single location to go and see all of the different options and have them explain to you go to Roofing Wholesale company and talk to someone who works with the different types of decking will know everything about the different products you can use anything from elastomeric to a rubber coating they will be able to tell you your best options specifically for your needs you may want to use different types of application for different areas of your warehouse there maybe chemical resistant nonslip in certain areas maybe inside and just outside bathrooms or kitchen areas I can certainly make recommendations but if I was going to do a project I would also even as a contractor go to someone who specializes in different coatings because I would want to get the latest in the best and the most convenient application there are single applications there are double applications . Some applications require you to chemically etch The surface of the concrete which is not hard to do with Murray attic acid and water solution for h The surface of the concrete which is not hard to do with Murray attic acid and water solution for proper adhesion this will cause a bonding affect it will not allow the concrete coating to break loose of the cement surface . Some applications do not require edging two-part Apoxsee does not Some applications are not require etching as two-part Apoxy . There are Apoxsee products that are single part which will require more than a few hours to do an area and have it finished ready to use of course the larger area the more time it takes I'm just indicating that doesn't take up a lot of time to complete the entire process. I've use the polyurethane two-part process a base coat and a finish coat which can be nonslip or smooth it takes a couple of days for the first coat to dry as it is dick like an eighth eighth of an inch it is the main coat which is then finish with a topcoat again for hardness and protection.what is interesting about this product is that after you put the topcoat going t what is interesting about this product is that after you put the topcoat down the system up and it begins to set up after a couple hours depending on the conditions then you broadcast Sandlake silica sand to whatever aggregate size you want you let that dry for two days the nearest surface with the top coat and it makes it extremely durable long-lasting hard surface. It's much more expensive then the acrylic process and takes more time if you do the single application text slightly more time maybe one day if you do the three coat application on the acrylic. The polyurethane coating after five years does not show any significant ware on a ramp with an insanely crazy dog that runs up and down back-and-forth on the ramp whenever hear somebody outside all day long including the constant scratching and scraping with the dogs Claus against a surface told up incredibly well but also the acrylic is amazingly durable if The polyurethane is the 10 I would say the acrylic is probably an eight if you do the three color process. Probably the best example I can give you is a wooden porch with 1" x 6" to 12 inch long laid side-by-side to make steps which cover one entire side of the porch as they go down. They're supposed to the sun all day and a very hot environment normally needing a touch up coat every year after applying the acrylic resin tinted without any fiberglass or aggregate and it has held up three or four years without a application and with a washing looks as good as new
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Correction, 1/8 inch thick
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Does this help or does it just make you more confused I know it can be confusing I'm just trying to give you your options do you have any questions that I can answer ? And yes there is also the concrete stain option which is very good because it's a deep penetrating stain we can't be removed and is easy to maintain and you can put in a solid color. The semi transparent stain is better because it's soaks into the concrete better and you can get a solid looking finish by a couple applications rather than using the solid body stain and a dries couple hours between coats that's it
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
To better answer your question about where it can be purchased, you can look on Google for Pro Deck or just look up decking coatings options but I would again recommend for you to go and speak with someone who is in charge of the decking solutions for the different roofing contractors and waterproofing. These individuals work directly with the reps of the different companies and they have samples of every different kind of coating that you can take with you. The products that come out so quickly it's hard to stay up on all the different products that are available through a warehouse like Allied building materials as well I have my account also Roofing Wholesale or any one of the major roofing wholesalers but they sell to the publicIf you have anymore questions I'd be happy to answer them if you or satisfied with the answers are given please indicate your rating thank you for your question and get everything thing else I can do to help you just let me know
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
To edge the concrete if you want to use a single application of the colored paint acrylic resin topcoat only without fiberglass or aggregate is the most simple and easiest method for you to apply being that you're doing it yourself and if you make a mistake you can clean it up with water where is the polyurethane is very hard to clean up it is very nasty to work with if you're not sure what you're doing you can make a real mess and when you get it on Youngbird basically have where it off unless you get a special thinner which I do not believe is available at Summerlake Home Depot you can only get it at a roofing supply or similar location what I mean by where it off is that it'll be on your skin until it wears off by the way I have a personally applied these applications on projects that I have contracted . To edge the concrete mix the solution of maybe 20% 80% water Rietta guessing 20 water 80 you can go 50-50 if you want but I would start with the lesser because you don't want to it's the concrete anymore than you have to you can actually remove the sill surface and the hardness off of the concrete. Take your solution in a bucket take a mop A large commercial mop head and just don't get his brother solution generously around the surface of the concrete and you will notice some feelings like white smoke rising from the surface of the concrete as a team based on the concentration of muriatic acid it will add so much to stop even though it stays on the concrete it will use up the chemical you can control the etching by how much you put it on you can try a small area and see how concentrated you want to make it for just an easy single coat evenly spread where to clean up just rinse with with clean water it with clean water neutralizes the acid use gloves don't get on your clothes and less you want holes like if you get it on your skin it won't burn your severely but you will definitely know that you have it on your skin just rinse with water and do not breathe the fumes you may want to use something like a particle mask you don't need a respirator for doing it in a large open area does open up your rollup door
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Replace Youngbird with "your skin"
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
The product is actually called Pro Deck that's the one that I've used
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
The number for the gentleman in Brea is 1-***-***-**** new has a shop but he'll bring it home and tell it to you right out of his house he also has the floors in his house and outside done with the different coding is very interesting
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
The phone number for the gentleman that I deal with who distributes the Pro Deck material he has a shop but he will sell it to you from his home. Is 1-***-***-**** is home has a different coatings on the inside first floor is an outside very interesting
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
OK hello this is your own personal contractor to answer your questions I see you haven't responded. I hope you found my answers to be more than sufficient please respond by giving me a positive rating thank you
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 1 year ago.
Let me just add one thing I've taken a lot of time to respond you twice to different occasions I won't get paid for answering your question if I don't get writing for me a rating would you please give me a rating thank you
Expert:  HIC-Expert replied 11 months ago.
This is HIC Expert . Where you needing help with where to buy the product? If so I apologize I thought inhale covered that as I produced a vast amount of information.