Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We are converting our wooden deck to a composite deck

Customer Question

We are converting our wooden deck to a composite deck because we want low maintenance and long life. Would you recommend Trex, Azek, or some other brand?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Both are good products but you should be aware that Trex and similar decking is susceptible to grease stains which can be difficult to remove. So if you plan on putting your grill on the deck and staining is problematic for you then you might want to consider Azek which is much more stain resistant but it i more expensive.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Rick. I have attached 2 proposals for our deck. I have very helpful pictures of the deck on my phone. If you can send me your cell number I will text them to you. Please give me your opinion of these proposals. Do you think the these are good prices?
And what do you think of these contractors based on these proposals? Do you think they sound like they are skilled in this type of project? The first proposal is "Deck Dupont SteveSinjem OPTION #1" The attached sticky note should read "The pricing includes any colors from the Harvest or Arbor line". The yellow highlighted area is what we want for the deck.
The second proposal is"HOYT deck reusing existing frame,footings and spiralstaircase". On the Hoyt proposal they said they can substitute AZEK Arbor or Harvest for a maximum of $200 more than this Trex quote. Thanks.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Both pretty similar except for materials. Azek has a reputation for being more stain resistant the Trex in spite of the Trex warranty which states it's not stain proof (a pretty big loophole).

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you think of the prices quoted? And do they sound like they know how to install composites?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

No way to know that from a quote. You need to ask for and check references (at least 3).

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?