duane, Carpenter
Experience:  carpenter for 15 yrs ? 10 years own business

I am (trying to) use osb , per nice pictures on internet. I

Customer Question

I am (trying to) use osb for floor, per nice pictures on internet. I have the OSB installed now and was going to use varathane to seal it. However, there are large manufacturer stamps all over it. The only thing I could do was sand them out but that is destroying the look. Is there any way I can stain this sanded OSB to get back the nice variation in the different wood strands?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  duane replied 5 months ago.

Hi well the pics on Internet are nice when you sand it which is what you have to do to make it look rite. Trust me I installed all my own floors when I was a builder a d I first did this OSB look by pure accident once in a very big storage area above giant garage I had built for a great client .. Now after you sand it with the osb if you rent Sander get a random ordit from rental and sand to 120 here is a trick. Take and vacum very nice and then damp mom it once fairly well then let it dry hour or so and quickly sand once more with120 grit this process is know in flooring industry as pooping the grain once the little bit of water hits it will

Rough up very fast it will not be smooth but when you fast sand it will be smooth as can be this is done so when your finish product goes on the grain is already pooped open now it is smooth ..... To get the different look you are liking you need to use a ployerathane finish it will give you more deeper tones and versions. & darker tone like older amber look ?... But if you want more clear new look then use water born finish ...hint also if you want the amber polyurethane look. Parks brand from Homepot works well any basic brand but. It is very thick on poly...take 1 quart of paint thinner an mix into a 5 gal bucket then you can just use a high napp roller and aplyy good heavy coat it will be funny bubbly looking then by time you get over out of room it will look like glass across your floor OK it

Expert:  duane replied 4 months ago.

hello just checking back to see how your floor turned out hopefully my information was help to you thanks for your time