Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a Genie Mod#SD9005. The reversing relay doesn't work,

Customer Question

I have a Genie Mod#SD9005. The reversing relay doesn't work, it will only go down & door must be disengaged from screw to open it. We would buy a new opener but this installation must fit between the roof support beam (it's a stacked hip roof) and the garage door header which the old genie does. The question is; does Genie have any models that will fit in that position? Everything I can find online looks like it is longer over all and wouldn't fit. The exist. activator buttons are hard wired so we only need one remote wireless.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
Hi Charles...........I could probably answer your question better if you uploaded a few pictures...........but if that is a problem Wayne Dalton make motors that mount right on the header wall of the garage door itself.............. but anyway........ lets try and get this one up and running if we can.......if you could check the sensors for me you should have steady lights on......... maybe one green and one amber...........if you could let me knowThankseddie
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The model SD9005 has no indicator lights, only the area light, but by sensors I assume you mean the end switches; they both work and I can hear the relay on the circuit board click but the motor doesn't reverse. When I click the remote, the motor consistently starts in the "down" rotation. After I sent my inquiry I measured the distance from the roof support beam and the door header, it is: 115.5", that is how long the exist. opener is.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
maybe we can try it this way instead 1-) The make and model GENIE and/or number of the unit in question SD 9005 and do you have the manual for it? 2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner 3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? 4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes 5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button 6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage 7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondenceIf by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns. Please always allow me time to prepare information for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You are obviously not familiar with the model Genie I have and it probably is too old. So thanks but we are wasting both of our time.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
this model does have safety sensors ...........we are not connecting because we are not using the correct wording between us at the moment.......I thought by using my standard form we would get closer in identifying the problem better...........forget about where a new opener would fit right now it is only confusing things right now if you wanted to try and fix this one............so if you want we could try or if you decide to go with a new one just send me a reply ......i will go along with whatever you want to do Thankseddie
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lets just forget it ok?
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
okay good luck to you eddie