Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

I have a Chamberlain whisper drive model HD900D garage door

Customer Question

I have a Chamberlain whisper drive model HD900D garage door opener installed 1-11-09. Powere to he house was lost when a storm passed through our area. Now that the powere is re-established, the garage door opener is emitting a single beep about every 5 minutes. I've looked in the owner's manual & I cannot determine what it means or how to stop it. Any suggestions?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. My goal today will be to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer.If I may ask: 1-) The make CHAMBERLAIN and model WHISPER DRIVE and/or number HD 900 D of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?YES 2-) how old it might be 7 YEARS and if you are the original owner 3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? 4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes 5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button 6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage POWER OUTAGE AND SUBSEQUENT SURGE 7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondenceIf by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns. Please always allow me time to prepare information for you.And thank you for your help and assistanceeddie
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2) I am not the original owner. I purchased the home 3 years ago & the previous owner left the manual.
3) The status light on the left side of the drive unit is steady green.
4) The wall control a two remotes all function normally
5) No lights appear to be flashing
6) Major storm in Oklahoma City killed the power.
7) Yes
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
both safety sensor lights should be steady on and not you have to align them so you do get that ..........if you cant get both to light then we might have a now faulty we can try fixing this first ..........they have to point at each other it's not laser accuracy ..........let me know if you can get them goingThankseddie
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you are referring to the safety sensor that detects obstructions across the path of the door, it is functioning correctly. The unit beeps all day, even when the door is not in use.I
If I were to guess, I would think it is an indicator that the battery needs to be replaced, but I was reluctant to do so without confirmation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Rather like a smoke detector that has a low battery.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The manual does mention the batteries only last 3 -5 years.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
okay but one other thing I want to try before we do that as long as you say the safety sensors both are working.............I would like to do a hard re set first HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including key less..........plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Stand by while I perform the hard reset.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
roger that
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not hearing anything. I may not have waited long enough for the beeping to resume but I'm going to pretend that fixed it. Thank you, ***** ***** your assistance.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
and the door is operating the right way? still could mean that you need to change the battery can test that to see
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It just seems odd that the owner's manual doesn't refer to the meaning of tones emitted by the product. It is obviously a signal to perform some action.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
see its not what you know its who you know got a friend in me lol
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks again for the guidance.
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!Thankseddie