Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

Is fast setting thin set tiles on a concrete

Customer Question

Is fast setting thin set for porcelain tiles on a concrete slab good? My concern is long term. Will the tile come off after a few months cause of the thin set? I will have a professional tile installer work with it but am just concerned with its durability. How is the one in the link? Please only respond if you have worked with it for 5-7 years and can talk from experience. Not looking for speculations.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.If you're having a pro do the install then fast set thinset is works just as well as the other types. The problem DIY'ers run into is that they try to use the thinset after it's already started to set. Not somethng a pro is likely to do.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

How long does it take once the thin set is mixed for it to set?

Have you worked with this thin set? Are they all created equal?

Are there any other special instructions when working with fast set thinset? I have used the regular kind but am not a pro.

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
All the major brands (Hydroment, Tec, Laticrete) are all pretty much the same from one brand to the next. And I've used all these brands. I don't really have a preference. You have about 20 to 30 minutes (depending on site conditions) to work the fast set products. The instructions are on the bag.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

So you have personally used the fast setting thin set and never encountered any problems while using it and months and years later?

My tile guy says that once you use fast setting thin set after 4 hours he can step on the tile and grout immediately. Is this true?

Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
Again, yes no long term problems. 4 hours is actually longer than the product specs require (3 hours).
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
Do you have any more questions?