Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Rainbird Sprinkler system is not working. All the settings

Customer Question

Rainbird Sprinkler system is not working. All the settings are fine. I changed the battery, reset the schedule. When I attempt the manual start up, water does not flow. However, today I noticed a small icon in the lower left corner that looks like a sprinkler head and it flashes. Does this mean I have a broken head, and if so, how do I figure out which one it is if I can't get it to turn on?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
Hi ............just do run a few checks you aren't in winterizing mode right?.....at this time are you opening the system for the season?.......do you know if you have a master valve?........it might be where the zone valves are located also.........it could be a wiring problem on the master valve where it isn't opening .....so take a look on the valves if you can turn the solenoids on the valves ¼ counterclockwise and manually activate them to see if the water flows
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not understand. I live in Texas, so we do not do winterizing mode, ever. LOL I went out to the irrigation box located in the front yard and turned the valves to off position and then back on. How would I know if water is flowing? I did not hear anything that would indicate water flow. When you say solenoids - what are you talking about? The valves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you now what the little icon located in the lower corner of the control panel means? It looks like a sprinkler head and there is a little what looks like tick mark that is flashing off and on next to it. I no longer have the book, so I can't look this up.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
can you get me your make and model .......................and how many zones do you have?...............and how many valves?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the irrigation box, there are two valves. One end has green markings and the other has red markings. I assume meaning off and on. When I opened the box both valves were in the horizontal position. I have 8 zones. In the irrigation box located outside in the ground, there are two valves. I have a Rainbird ISA 408, 8 station, dual program system.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
here is this first of all http://www.rainbird.com/documents/diy/man_isaseries.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pic of irrigation valves. Not very easy to see what you are looking at.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
there is a system test on page 27 you might want to try that .......................and is the fuse good?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Hold on. Slow computer response today.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
yes ..........I think that some how the wires are not making a good connection.................are all 8 zones usually running ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have resigned myself to the fact I will have to call someone. I ran the full test by unplugging, changing battery, waiting five minutes. There is no communication between control box and water flow. The fuse is fine. Unless you have some brilliant idea, I'm at a loss at my level of knowledge - which is none.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, all 8 zones run in sequence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all happened when I turned off the power to install a new flood lamp on my garage door. Something went wrong after having the power off. All the fuses in the fuse box are fine. Just simply don't know. It was working fine before that event.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
that's why I was thinking it is some kind of electrical problem ..........if you could take out the battery and see if you are getting anything on the display
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Control panel still works without battery. Zone timers are counting down as if they are running. Just no water.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
okay its no good to run them dry ..............so you should shut it all down..........I think your master valve isn't opening if it does run electronically ..........maybe it would be best to have a service man track it down ........it's hard not being on site and eliminating things one by one ..............sorry I wish I could have been of more help ....................good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway. At least I know I tried all the options. Electrical is way out of my scope.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.
well I hope it is something simple and gets you up and running again Thank you eddie