Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

I am planning on building a storage shed and want to know if

Customer Question

I am planning on building a storage shed and want to know if I should put in a concrete footing and slab, and any specific things I should be considering.I currently have a flat dirt area where the shed will be. The shed will be 8 ft. wide, 12 feet long, 10 feet tall, with a composition shingle gambrel roof. It is made by a company who has made sheds for me before and does good work. Wood frame and probably T-111 siding (although I might actually have them put some concrete siding near the bottom to
discourage rodents).The location is at 4700 feet in the California mountains. I have a 3 acre property in a rural area down a dirt road. In the winter there are probably 100 days or so when air temperatures hit freezing or below. On most days the air temperature is above freezing for 12 hours or so during the day, although there will be times when it might go a solid 2 weeks with temperatures between 10 and 32.I also want to make sure I can keep rodents out as they like to snack on tractor wires. Anyway, I am just trying to get accurate data on what type of footing and slab I should be using.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.If the shed is free standing you don't need to put it on a slab. All you need to do is set it level on concrete blocks. I'm in New Hampshire and we have frost to 4' depth some Winters and we never put storage sheds on a slab. Of course I'm assuming your shed will have a wood framed floor.