Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

I purchased a home built in 1994 that has a heatilator

Customer Question

I purchased a home built in 1994 that has a heatilator peninsula fireplace. I believe it is GC920 series. My question is, should there be a hole that connects the chimney to the inside of the fire box? Right now, looking from the inside of the firebox, the top of the firebox is solid, and does not have a hole in it. Looking from the outside of the fireplace into the gap between the fireplace and the black metal trim, you can see the the chimney hole that is connected to the pipe that runs out through the roof.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.There are no indications in the specs or parts list for this unit that would answer your question definitively. However I can't imagine why anyone would modify this unit to block the exhaust path. It makes no sense. There is a simple test you can perform to determine of the chimney is drawing properly. Turn the flames on and hold a lit match at the top of the fire box opening. If the match flame is straight up or drawn towards the fireplace then it's working properly. If the match flame is distorted away from the fireplace then you have a problem that should be checked out by a fireplace tech.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** test is exactly what the owners manual online said. The flame is straight up, however, you did not answer my question. Can you tell me if it should it have a hole in the top or not?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
You're welcome. I don't have that info. It's not listed in the specs. Since this unit is so old probably your only source for that info would be to call Heatilator at(###) ###-####