Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

I have a cinder block wall in my back yard that I am

Customer Question

I have a cinder block wall in my back yard that I am upgrading. It is about 4 and half feet tall and about 50 feet long. I have removed the top cap and am installing a top railing (ornamental steel fence sections). I have inserted into the open cells vertical steel pipes at intervals to brace the additional fence sections on the of the top cider block wall.
Now a few questions, I am thinking that the wall should have reinforcement to brace the steel post in place and also strengthen the wall. I am thinking of putting a grout mixture ( or something) down into the open cells with some sort of re bar and then putting a top dip cap on it an then adding the new (heavy) fence sections to the top and wielding the fence sections to the vertical steel posts.
What is the best way (method) to strengthen the wall prior to putting the fence sections on top of it.
Hopefully I have described this well enough for you to get the idea.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.Sounds like you have the right idea. I'd weld the fence posts to the pipe (sounds like what you had in mind). Grout to fill the void around the pipes is a good idea. Additional re-bar won't add much strength. The re-bar needs to be poured into the footing for it to be effective.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What kind of grout? Let me know the mix, it will need to be liquid enough to pour down into the cells I have seen a polyurethane product, is this something I should consider?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.
You can use Sakrete or Quikrete mortar mix. Yes it has to be thn enough to pour.