canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

When was asbestos stopped being used in drywall? Was it ever

Customer Question

When was asbestos stopped being used in drywall? Was it ever used?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 9 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Yes, asbestos was used in some drywall products. It was banned in the mid 70's to use any asbestos in any materials. Although the ban was on the manufacturing, some materials as late as 1980 could have been installed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I live in Australia, do you think it was the same sort of time frame?
I see. Well, the dates I quoted were in North America. Australia was a little bit later. The last building materials manufactured in Australia containing asbestos were manufactured in the early 80s so, in about the same time frame but a little bit later.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
So by 1995 asbestos would not have been in walls?
That is correct. By then it would have been outlawed to manufacture for at least 10 years.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 8 months ago.
I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?
I would hope that during our ongoing conversation that you have been provided the information needed to solve the issue you are having but I will not know that without a response from you. My goal is to get you the answers you seek but I have no way of knowing if you have gotten the information you are looking for without either a positive rating or request for more information from you.