Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I have purchased a Britannia stove (brand name is Britannia).

Customer Question

I have purchased a Britannia stove (brand name is Britannia). I am located in Canada, however the stove was meant for sale only in the UK. We are remodeling our entire kitchen and are rewiring the entire kitchen so I was not worried about the electricity. The stove is meant for 230 volt, 50hz electricity, however in Canada we have 240 volt 60hz electricity. From what I can gather on the Internet it sounds like it should not be a problem as we are wiring the stove circuit on a dedicated 60amp line, and the 60hz/50hz issue should not apply as there are no moving parts in the stove, except for the fan, which appears I guess it could run 17% faster or slower due to the frequency difference. 230 volt versus 240 volt should not be a problem as well from what I can see.
My electrician does not think it should be a problem however I contacted the manufacturer and they said the stove is meant for 230 volt 50hz electricity for the UK and Irish market, so they got me worried however I think the representative I emailed probably did not have much knowledge about electricity.
Can you give me a more enlightened answer ?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Hello, the manufacture does not want to take on any risks at all so is simply being cautious. The heating elements will run 20% hotter with 60hz power, that will generally be within their normal operating limits so you should not have any significant problems. The tiny fan motor is a low torque type so that it should run well, but ~20% faster and for that reason will draw ~40% higher amperage... it will run hotter as a result and itself be about 30% more failure prone... when it fails the odds are good that you can find a 60Hz replacement at Grainger Industrial Supply in Canada. This situation would not prevent me from using the stove as it is if I owned it. After rating my answer you may stay in touch for any follow up you need.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fact that the stove requires a three line wiring instead of the usual four line wiring for stoves in North America should not cause a problem as well, I just ask my electrician to get the proper wore and put it in. My electrician seems concerned about the fan, but your explanation seems to make logical sense to me. Is there anything else that you would pay attention to if you were installing this stove in your house ?
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, you will not need 4 line wiring UNLESS the stoves controls and fan motor run on 120volts... and that is common. In that case you will need the following: Line 1, Line 2, a neutral and a ground... 4 wires. If the stove has electronic controls and fan motor running from 240volts, then all you need is Line1, Line2, and a ground wire.. 3 wires. If you can get me the *model number of the stove I should be able to pull a wiring diagram for on line, and determine these fan motor and controls power issues.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The model number is ***** si-15tct-cl-cb.Thanks, I appreciate the extra steps you are taking
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, there was no wiring diagram that I could find for that stove on line. If you can send me a photo of the electrical plug, that shows the prongs on the plug I can tell a lot from that..... if there is no plug, just the bare wires, send me a photo of those. If you cannot send any photo's tell me how many wires and which colors the electrical cord attached to the stove has in it. IF there are only 3 wires, we are in luck....that means all components in the stove are 230 volts....and that the difference between 50 and 60 Hz will not make a significant difference. We can go from there without a time limit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, I am supposed to receive the stove sometime in a week or so
Expert:  Phil replied 7 months ago.
Great, I will be here.