Richard Mauro
Richard Mauro,
Experience:  Carpenter, Supervisor at Now Dream It
10243657

I am buying a house with an unpermitted apartment on the bottom

Customer Question

I am buying a house with an unpermitted apartment on the bottom level. According to the department of building and safety the only way to permit the unit is to add interior access via the main house. (Right now there is only exterior access to the unit.) I'm looking for an idea of a timeframe and cost of adding a staircase between the two floors. It is a R1 zones hillside house in Los Angeles.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Richard Mauro replied 7 months ago.
Hello,There a few factors that would effect the time and cost of adding a staircase between the two floors.. First what is the ceiling height on the first floor?. Will the staircase be in an open area? In other words is head room/height a concern?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Headroom and height are not a concern. The bottom level ceiling height is 8ft and the main level ceiling height is 10ft. I am open to a spiral staircase as it would make the property compliant. Basically I want to legalize the extra square footage as inexpensively and quickly as possible. Thank you!
A fair estimate to open and frame the floor assuming there is no electrical, plumbing, HVAC etc in the way and install a staircase including railings $1,800.00 for labor. The cost of materials is wide open. You could purchase a cheep set of pine stairs (No Frills) with a simple hand rail for $500 range or you could have an elaborate stair case with a banister to match that could cost thousands of dollars.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. What about time frame for the $1,800 version?
3 days
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
great. thank you for your help.
You're welcome